Mirroring: Bad datestamps prevent hardlinking

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Apr 15 22:34:51 UTC 2005

On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 03:26:09PM -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-04-15 at 16:14 -0600, William Stockall wrote:
> > Re-download or re-calculate check sums?  If the files are actually
> > the
> > same except for the timestamp, all that should be downloaded by rsync
> > is
> > the check sum.  Is that a problem by itself?  Plus, changing the
> > timestamp is likely to trigger a sync with the mirrors just the same
> > as
> > actually changing the files.
> >

> Yes, but if it only does the checksums as you say than it won't be bad.
> I'll try a couple packages and see what it actually downloads.

That is quaranteed, rsync will generate checksums on varying
blocksizes (check the rsync thesis).

If rsync would indeed download any payload, then the destination file
was damaged.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net