Upgrade RH9 kernel -> RHEL 3 kernel

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 22:32:51 UTC 2005

On 4/18/05, Eric Rostetter <rostetter at mail.utexas.edu> wrote:

> You would really be on your own if you did it.  You would want to stay
> with RHEL 3.x and clones, as RHEL 4.x and clones use the 2.6 kernel.

I know. I am a little scared to do it. But the other option is I start
from scratch with FC2 if I want all the 2.6 enhancements.

> Many of the same features are in the RHL 9 kernel.

The only one I am aware of is the Native Posix Thread Library (NPTL).
Do you know which other features were backported to RHL9?

> A lot of those are in RHL 9, some are not.  Which ones are you interested in?

The one which I was hoping to get was the Scheduler support for
hyperthreaded CPUs. I know that the new scheduler is able to discern
between virtual and real cpus and therefore schedules processes
optimally on Hyperthreaded CPU's. I have a dual Xeon at my school so
this feature would be welcome.

--
Robert Arkiletian