automatic nightly updates

Joe Harrington jh at oobleck.astro.cornell.edu
Mon Apr 25 20:40:52 UTC 2005

> We will NOT make it the practice and gear our services toward it.

Relax.

I didn't tell you to make it your practice.  I said to *document* the
practice prominently, and let people decide for themselves, which I
think is what you also want.  However, for anyone to be able to use
it, you have to gear your services to it, by which I mean you have to
avoid doing anything that would harm someone taking all your updates
as they come out.  As I said, I don't think you need to change how you
handle the updates themselves.  I'm talking about web site content,
mainly, and also a level of awareness for any future situations that
may come up.

> I will not accept risks FOR a user,
> that is up to the user to decide.

Don't worry, as an unpaid, volunteer service, nobody has or can ask
you to accept a risk for a user.  That's also true of FP.  Everyone in
the Fedora world knows that the buck stops with them.

> Opt-in rather than opt-out.

Yes.  That decision is made by FP when they choose the /etc/rc.d
configuration to ship.

--jh--