automatic nightly updates

Pettit, Paul ismanager at ccbnpts.com
Mon Apr 25 21:47:02 UTC 2005

> Ingo T. Storm wrote:
>
> > Dan Schlitt schrieb:
> > It would be nice if yum had an option to just download the rpms.
>
> It has - at least the releases I use.
>
> /usr/bin/yum --download-only update
>
> in a cron job should do exactly what you want.
>
> Ingo

And Ingo wins the award for the best response in this thread. Going to have
to try that one out, thanks Ingo!

------

You know it's kind of humorous that this whole tread has happened again.
I've refrained from posting as I'm still putting salve on the burns from the
last time.

It seems to me that there are many that feel very strongly on both sides and
the sticking point is where people disagree on "common" practice. Until such
time that all can agree on a universal rule on updates that everyone in the
world signs off on, the best thing to do is do what you have been doing and
that has worked till now.

Just don't go looking for FL to take responsibility (not that *I* ever did)
if you go the route of unattended auto-updating and something breaks. They
only make sure you have the patch in a timely manner (and do a good job at
that btw) and that it's had some kind of QA before they are available.
Regardless of how many documents they put up, how many times they point out
"best" practices, it's ultimately the system administrator's (i.e. your) job
to make the call. If there is a chance that a patch will fubar your
system(s), best to make sure YOU have it covered.

Peace.

Paul Pettit
CTO and IS Manager
Consistent Computer Bargains Inc.

I've heard it said that the proof of lunacy is when you repeat the same
steps expecting different results.  I say it's proof that you're a Microsoft
user. - comment by deshi777 on experts-exchange.com