automatic nightly updates

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Apr 25 22:31:05 UTC 2005

Quoting Jim Popovitch <jimpop at yahoo.com>:

> On Sun, 2005-04-24 at 14:49 -0400, Dan Schlitt wrote:
> > I guess it is my paranoia from 15 years of system administration but I
> > would never do unattended patching of any computer I really cared about.
>
> What about a cluster of 50+ webservers?

I see this no different that a cluster of 5 mail servers, or a stand-alone
database server, or a single compute machine.  If it is different, it is
in that I can test things on one of the 50+ machines and find any problems
there before I install it on the rest.

See the recently updated https://www.fedoralegacy.org/docs/autoupdates.php

> Think of an enterprise with 1500
> desktop PCs all around the world.  Who is going to visit all locations
> to update?

You don't need to.  No one said you did.  But that doesn't mean you should
just have them all do auto updates from the vendor or a third party.

> What about webserver farms?  How about distributed internal
> DNS/NIS servers where the loss of one system isn't critical?  etc, etc.

See above.  It doesn't matter.  Remember, you *can* apply updates automatically,
from another source, after testing.  Just don't forget to do the rest of the
work up front.

> People need to understand that every environment is unique and what
> doesn't work in one instance may very well work very well in another.

I think this is all addressed, though maybe not heavily, in the autoupdates.php
web page.  Not to mention the Red Hat, Microsoft, or a zillion other
Best Practices Guides out there, all of which say don't use auto updates
of untested software on production machines.

--
Eric Rostetter