automatic nightly updates

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Apr 25 23:42:08 UTC 2005

Quoting Jim Popovitch <jimpop at yahoo.com>:

> On Mon, 2005-04-25 at 17:31 -0500, Eric Rostetter wrote:
> >
> > See the recently updated https://www.fedoralegacy.org/docs/autoupdates.php
>
> "Not Found
> The requested URL /docs/autoupdates.php was not found on this server."

Heh, cute.  I somehow mistyped it as an encrypted page which it isn't.
Habit I guess from access secure sites all day.  Just change https: to
http: and it should work, ala:

http://www.fedoralegacy.org/docs/autoupdates.php

> > You don't need to.  No one said you did.  But that doesn't mean you should
> > just have them all do auto updates from the vendor or a third party.
>
> What's that RHN Management entitlement about then?  You saying that RH
> should not be selling that?  Ok.

See their best practices guide.  It allows you to set up a local, multi-level
system for updates, and then update from that system after testing.
Nice system really.

It also means that when things do bust, they have to try to fix it for
you.  Which alone is worth its weight in gold.

BTW, I hate the whole RHN thing, and don't use it as our lawyers won't bless
the Red Hat language, and Red Hat hasn't been willing to work with our
legal staff (negotiations are on-going still).  But, it does have some good
points in its design and implementation.  And I can't totally blame Red Hat
for not wanting to provide tech support to the world for free.

--
Eric Rostetter