How to mirror?

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Aug 10 16:18:37 UTC 2005

Quoting Jeff Sheltren <sheltren at cs.ucsb.edu>:

> On Aug 9, 2005, at 7:52 PM, Kenneth Porter wrote:
>
> > I want to mirror updates-testing for FC2 to my server. What's the
> > correct way to do that? I mostly need the new repo metadata format
> > as I've updated yum to use the new FC3-style XML metadata, and
> > downloads.fedoralegacy.org lacks that for the FC2 directories.
> >
> > I essentially want to script a fetch of the RPM's in <http://
> > download.fedoralegacy.org/fedora/2/updates-testing/i386/> and then
> > run createrepo on the result.
> >

> I'd say that using rsync is the easiest way.  Check the mirror list
> for a rsync server near you:
> http://fedoralegacy.org/download/fedoralegacy-mirrors.php
>
> Then, run rsync to download the rpms locally.  Subsequent runs of
> rsync will only download what is changed from your server's point of
> view.
>
> Then it's just a matter of running createrepo on your server.  You'll
> only need to rsync the base packages once, since those don't change.
> Then just periodically update the updates directory and run
> createrepo on it.
>
> People will probably argue what the best rsync flags are, but you
> can't go too wrong using something like:
> rsync -azv rsync://some.server.org/mirrors/fedoralegacy/2/ /your/
> local/dir/2
>
> -Jeff

I use a slightly modified script that I got from the tutorial at:

http://fedoranews.org/alex/tutorial/yum/

A good starting point IMHO.  He provides the info, the scripts, etc. you
need.

Now, I don't know about the meta-data issue, since I only use this on the
old RHL repos, not on Fedora Core repos, but I'd expect it could be made
to work without too much effort, if any.

--
Eric Rostetter