GDM Greeter Crashing

Eucke euckew at sierraelectronics.com
Tue Aug 16 15:40:59 UTC 2005

Hello Everyone,

I am hoping someone who's experienced this problem can point me in the
right direction.  I was a bit delayed in modifying YUM to pull down the
Legacy updates and so I did so a couple of weeks ago.  After installing
the most recent 6 or so updates I ended up rebooting.  When the machine
came up I did as I normally do.  I SSH'ed in, SU'ed to root and then
manually invoked the VNCServer.  Within a couple of minutes the server
hard locked on me.  I did not discover this until a few hours later.
What I found was a message in the logs that indicated that  "The greeter
program appears to be crashing. I will attempt to use a different one."
However, from what I can tell, the system was locked up hard.  None of
the services running on the server appeared to be live from outside the
box...cursor would not move at the local console.

 From what I have been able to dig up there appears to be some toxic
relationship between VNC, KDE and the Greeter when you SU.  The system
has long been stable so it's something that was recently changed.  I
feel like I am nibbling all around the fix but cannot seem to identify
it.  What am I missing?  I really appreciate any help on this.  Most all
that I have turned up via google has not helped me figure out the fix.
Thank you!

--
Eucke