active contributors and supporting distro foo

Kelson kelson at speed.net
Fri Dec 16 20:04:41 UTC 2005

Mike McCarty wrote:
> Pekka Savola wrote:
>>  - 90% of relevance: whether the distro has (enough) active
>>    contributors
>>  - 10% of relevance: whether there are sufficient number of users to
>>    make the effort worth the trouble of the active contributors
>>  - Only those who are or would be active contributors have a say in
>>    making a decision whether to support "foo" or not.
>
> So, if there are lots of volunteers to support a completely abandoned
> version of software, you think it "should" be supported?

It seems to me that rather than debating about which condition is more
relevant, we would be better served by stating:

There are two necessary (but not sufficient) conditions for a distro to
remain supported:
1. It must have enough active contributors.
2. It must have enough users that the effort is worth it.

It's a simple AND operation.  If either condition is false, the other is
irrelevant -- percentages don't come into it.  If both are true, then FL
can decide whether to support it beyond the standard policy.

--
Kelson Vibber