LWN article about us

Benjamin Smith lists at benjamindsmith.com
Fri Feb 4 01:43:18 UTC 2005

I have numerous RedHat 7.2 and 9 servers being supported by Progeny through
the end of 2005.

My biggest concern is Fedora Core 1 - I have about a dozen servers which all
the several un-patched vulnerabilities metioned in the LWN article.

I've more or less decided to switch to Whitebox Linux in April (ish) or when
WBEL 4.0 comes out, whichever happens sooner.

I'd be happy to pay a reasonable monthly fee (Progeny charges $5/mo) if I
could be reasonably certain that updates would be timely. At this point, I
have no support options for the FC1 systems except for recompiling, which
opens up its own can of worms and increases support costs sharply.

-Ben

On Thursday 03 February 2005 15:58, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:
> One issue raised here is whether we should be dropping support for 7.3
> by now. Documentated end of support for 7.3 according to
> <http://www.fedoralegacy.org/about/faq.php> is the middle of this year
> (ie 1.5 years after Red Hat EOL). I would say that we should drop it no
> later than the introduction of FC2 support in March, though, because
> three distros is already fairly unmanagable. I'd be happy to drop it
> earlier, though.

- XEROX PARC slogan, circa 1978