Fedora Legacy Test Update Notification: mailman

Pavel Kankovsky peak at argo.troja.mff.cuni.cz
Sat Feb 19 19:49:52 UTC 2005

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005, Jim Popovitch wrote:

> Here is what Mailman 2.0 looked like (prior to CAN-2005-0202)
> Here is what Mailman 2.1.5 looked like (prior to CAN-2005-0202).

Afaik the semantics is the same i.e. 2.0 is affected as well.
(Try true_path('/.....///b').)

> Here is what Mailman developers themselves recommend as a fix
> to the 2.1 series for CAN-2005-0202, in addition to saying that
> 2.0.x is unaffected.

Personally, I'd prefer this fix because it does the right thing (it gets
rid of unsafe path components) rather than doing some text substitution
magic.

> Here is what is now in FedoraLegacy RH73 release 2.0.13-7
>        path = re.sub('\.+/+', '', path)

This is rather ugly but it should fix the problem too. re.sub is "regular
expression substitution". It finds all sequences of one or more dots and
one or more slashes and deletes them (replaces them with an empty string).
It is not possible to create any input such that the output of this
substitution would include "../".

--Pavel Kankovsky aka Peak  [ Boycott Microsoft--http://www.vcnet.com/bms ]
"Resistance is futile. Open your source code and prepare for assimilation."