Is it worth forming a "collective"? [Was Can't resolve fedoralegacy.org]

Stuart Low stuart at serverpeak.com
Tue Feb 8 01:28:27 UTC 2005

Hmm,

With all the Fedora Legacy related issues lately (the project is dead,
the website is dead, the server is down etc. etc.) I can't help but
wonder if perhaps it would be worth considering forming a "collective"
of companies who use the services the most to contribute a monthly
amount to pay someone to do ensure everything was kept up to date?

In Australia it'd be possible to hire a full time maintainer for ~40-50K
per year. That translates to ~$4.2K per month on the upper end. If it
was possible to have 10 companies commit to $500/month the longevity of
the project could be maintained for all distributions. In addition the
resolution time on issues could be massively decreased.

I don't know if Jesse would be interested in being paid for his work (I
believe he has a fulltime job elsewhere?) but it seems to me that many
users of the project seem to want support for all distributions, a fast
resolution time yet they are unwilling to pay or contribute a thing to
it. Clearly Jesse is a pretty busy guy (understandable since he has to
eat) and the project at this point in time doesn't have the time or
resources to maintain all the distributions users want.

Just a thought. :)

Stuart Low
Manager