Is it worth forming a "collective"? [Was Can't resolve fedoralegacy.org]

Jason Giglio jgiglio at smythco.com
Tue Feb 8 19:09:12 UTC 2005

I know my company was happy paying Red Hat about $1000/year for the
servers we had under their old system.  Then they increased their prices
by 1000% when RHEL came out.

We paid progeny for their legacy updates before fedora legacy formed up,
but their stupid system of downloading over authenticated HTTP with curl
makes it very tedious to use, so we use fedora legacy on the few boxes
we have left running older versions.

As for a collective, you would have to make it have a corporate image,
otherwise most companies will never pay it money for support.  I know I
can't go to my boss and say "Hey a bunch of guys are getting together to
pay some guy to try to make legacy packages faster, can I have $500 a
month (more than RHEL would cost us)?"

And I consider us pretty open minded when it comes to contracting open
source services.

-Jason