LWN article about us

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Feb 8 23:57:29 UTC 2005

Quoting Michael J Schout <mschout at gkg.net>:

> We had hoped that fedora legacy would enable us to stay with 7.3
> indefinately, but it just hasn't worked out that way.

It is working for me, so far... Not the best in the world, but sufficient.

> Currently, the state of fedora legacy is that there are over 15 packages
> just "waiting" for packages to be built for updates-tesitng. In
> addition, about 5 or more packages have been built for updates-testing,
> have the appropriate number of VERIFY votes in bugzilla, but they have
> not been released to "updates" yet.

But how many of those are really critical packages?  And how long
have the critical ones been waiting?  And shouldn't we cut them
some slack considering the problems of late?

> As far as I can tell, only one
> person can do those tasks (build updates-testing packages and/or release
> from updates-testing to updates)

I don't believe this is true.  I think 3 people can do these things.  I
may be wrong.

> and no number of community volunteers
> will help with a that unless some control is given to the community over
> the release/package building process.

And no control can be given over until the community both wants to take
it over, and proves their trustworthy to do so.

> So in other words, about 20 fixes
> are held up by the package building and/or "move to updates" process.
> I'm not sure what is the best way to fix that :).

More people working together to get things done more quickly.

> So we are in the process of migrating to another distribution.

One will need to do this sooner or later.  Each much choose their own
pace.  For you, it might be sooner.  For me, I'm still hoping for later.

> My employeer is currently using a private yum repository in which we
> publish many of the fixes from fedora's bugzilla system in the meantime.

Why not contribute some of that back to FL?

>   I have started to contribute QA work on the 7.3 related issues, but
> overall, it just takes too long for things to get published in FL.  I'm

Well, sometimes it is fast, sometimes it is slow, and the reasons are many
and varied.  The only way it will improve is with more help, cooperation,
communication, and understanding.

> not sure what the best solution is to that.

More help, cooperation, communication, and understanding. :)

> I don't know enough about
> what happens during the package building/publish process :).

What don't you know?  What do you want/need to know?

--
Eric Rostetter