Is it worth forming a "collective"?

Benjamin Smith lists at benjamindsmith.com
Wed Feb 9 09:09:07 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 08 February 2005 11:09, Jason Giglio wrote:
> We paid progeny for their legacy updates before fedora legacy formed up,
> but their stupid system of downloading over authenticated HTTP with curl
> makes it very tedious to use, so we use fedora legacy on the few boxes
> we have left running older versions.

I recognized pretty quickly that the progeny curl script was "functionally
challenged", so I left it in place and turned it into a yum repository. It's
worked like a dream ever since - with this setup, Progeny is an excellent
resource! Every attempt I've ever made to verify that yum was in fact,
working has passed 100%.

I even contacted Progeny, and gave them copies of the below script(s) that I
used to set it up, and got no response. Yum is an AWESOME tool - It's
stupid-simple to use:

##################################
#! /bin/sh
cd /home/yum/updates/redhat/7.2/updates/i386
/home/yum/bin/get_updates.pl
/usr/bin/yum-arch .
##################################

get_updates.pl is the curl-based script that Progeny distributes. Docroot for
the yum RPM archive is /home/yum/updates, and the changes in the yum.conf:

[updates]
name=Red Hat Linux $releasever updates
baseurl=http://username:password@www.mywebserver.com/redhat/7.2/updates/i386

It's protected with an htaccess password since I'm effectively dealing with
Progeny's I/P with these compiled RPMs, to prevent unauth access.

Hope this helps. As you can see, I'm nursing along some 7.2 systems with this
get up. s/7.2/$version/g for 7.3, 9.0, etc.

-Ben

--
"I kept looking around for somebody to solve the problem.
Then I realized I am somebody"