DNS Error

Vasco Dionísio vascodionisio at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 23 12:32:21 UTC 2005

Hello,

I installed a ADSL Modem that uses unicorn chipset (IceData500), compiled
the drivers, and configured pppoe to connect to my ISP Provider. I am using
Red Hat 7.3. Everything went fine and I am able to connect to my ISP (when I
do a ifconfig I can see the connection and I am able to ping the DNS servers
of the ISP). My problem is that if I do a ping with a name I get an error
message saying "host unknow". For instance, if I do ping www.google.com I
get the error message but if I do ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx for the DNS address
of the ISP everything goes fine. Could anyone give some hints please. I am
new to linux...

Thanks in advance,
Vasco

Here's my /etc/ppp/options

lock
ipparam ppp0
noipdefault
noauth
defaultroute
user "user at domain.ext"
noaccomp
noccp
nobsdcomp
nodeflate
nopcomp
novj
lcp-echo-interval 20
lcp-echo-failure 3
maxfail 25
updetach
usepeerdns
holdoff 4
persist

Here's how I connect

#modprobe unicorn_usb_eth PROTOCOL=pppoe ActivationMode=1 VPI=0 VCI=35
ENCAPS=llc-encaps

#ifconfig dsl0 up
#pppd pty 'pppoe -I dsl0 -m 1452'