Question re timing of "going legacy"

Carl Sopchak carl.sopchak at cegis123.com
Fri Feb 25 23:42:09 UTC 2005

I was wondering what the rationale was for moving FC<t-2> to Fedora Legacy
when FC<t> test2 release is announced.  (I.e., FC2 "going legacy" when FC4
test2 is released, as was also done with FC1/FC3.)  Is it the "push" / extra
resources required to get from test2 to final release?

As an end user, it certainly would be more convenient if FC<t-2> was
"regularly" supported until FC<t> was released.  Two months seems like an
awfully long time to go without (security) updates, and a very short time to
have to reconfigure yum for (although I probably will...).  But 6 months
seems too frequently to do a full upgrade to the OS (which can be a
relatively lot of work).

To me, that two month window seems "so close, yet so far away"...

Just to be clear, I *really* appreciate the Fedora Core project.  I'm just
expressing a point of view of one (perhaps class of) user...

Thanks,

Carl