apt-get-update problem (segmentation fault) FC1

nigel henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Sun Jan 23 18:35:34 UTC 2005

I have yum set up for Fedoralegacy on another FC1 machine and that worked
first go, even having to write the script for the config. But as I'm using
apt for DLing music software from planetccrma I thought I'd use apt on this
other FC1 install for Fedoralegacy DL's. Apt installed ok, typed the URL into
/etc/sources.list and DL'd the GPG key. Now the fun starts!  Run apt-get
update and get a screen saying it's the first time it's being run. Gives me 3
choices of items to be included, 2 were for general updates and another for
macromedia, so I OK'd them, then a mirror select list which I selected a
couple of mirrors from. Typed "c" after this and a lot of problems. It was
trying to use FTP on port80! with resulting timeouts, DL'd some lists from
the mirror sites which didn't seem to have anything to do with Fedoralegacy,
so I went back and removed the mirrors, but I think the damage was done. I
had to re-enter the Fedoralegacy URL in /etc/sources.list because the one I'd
initially put in had vanished. Ran apt-get update again. It got a HIT on the
6 lists from Fedoralegacy ok, but then (segmentation fault). It did not build
the package list or the dependency tree. HELP !  Is there likely to be a
workaround, or might it be best to uninstall apt for which I'd be gratefull
for the syntax to do this. I've been in on the command line quite a bit, but
never had to remove rpm's.
Running kernel: 2.4.22-1.2199.nptl  on a 1.3GHZ Aifriend machine with 1GB RAM.
Distro: Fedora Core 1  with Gnome & KDE, but I use KDE mostly.
                            Nigel.