If you upgrade to FC4

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Fri Jul 1 18:46:34 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-01 at 14:05 -0400, beartooth wrote:
> I've just upgraded three machines with working installs -- one each of
> FC1, 2,& 3 -- to FC4. Those with 2 & 3 did fine, without a hitch.
>
> The FC1 machine hit a hard snag: it was failing yum update, leaving me
> with a raw media version, which among other things couldn't run Pine, my
> main app by an order of magnitude. The trouble was on my end, of course;
> one of my gurux found it, and a quick & easy fix for it. That will
> doubtless be blindingly obvious to the technically ept, but wasn't to me.
>
> Turns out the upgrade from FC1 is different than from FC2 or 3; somewhere
> along in there, big (and very good) changes were made in yum -- and maybe
> that's the reason.

yes - FC1 goes from a 2.4 kernel to a 2.6 kernel - and A LOT of other
changes.

> Anyway, FC2 & 3 changed their configurations automagically when I upgraded
> to FC4; but FC4 kept the old yum.conf I had had on FC1, gave me a new
> file, named yum.conf.rpmnew, to replace that with -- and didn't tell me
> so, or if it did I missed it or failed to understand it.

it told you - all those messages are outputted when yum runs.

> I had spotted the fact that the old yum.conf was still FC1's (the legacy
> one, not the original), and moved it to a new yum.conf.fc1 to get rid of
> it; but I didn't know what to replace it with, much less that the
> replacement was already there and waiting, until my excellent guru spotted
> that.

the .rpmnew file.

> So I simply went into /etc as root; did "mv  yum.conf.rpmnew  yum.conf";
> ran yum update again; and now it worked.
>
> Once I had a current FC4, Pine went back to working like the charm it
> is.

you will probably want to find a new pine rpm. If you're still running
the one from fc1 age you will want a new one - if only for security
reasons.

-sv