If you upgrade to FC4

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Fri Jul 1 19:33:54 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 02:05:08PM -0400, beartooth wrote:

> Anyway, FC2 & 3 changed their configurations automagically when I upgraded
> to FC4; but FC4 kept the old yum.conf I had had on FC1, gave me a new
> file, named yum.conf.rpmnew, to replace that with -- and didn't tell me
> so, or if it did I missed it or failed to understand it.

The most popular reason why you will end up with an .rpmnew file is
that rpm decided that the original configuration was modified so it
should not be blindly replaced.  Sometimes this is really the casse
and sometimes rpm seems to be overly cautious but it should error on
a side of safety if there are the slightest doubts.

In any case after an upgrade it is nearly mandatory to look at
various .rpmnew and .rpmsave files, especially in subdirectories of
/etc, and clean them up by merging old and new files, replacing old
files or removing what is not needed and this job can hardly be made
automatic.

BTW - when updating to FC4 from earlier releases there are two
possible major gotchas.  One is that /etc/X11/X link should point
now to ../../usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg and if this was previously
../../usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86 then it may not be moved automatically.
In such case X will not start until you will do the change.  The
other is that 'slocate.cron' will not do anything useful any longer
until you enable it in /etc/updatedb.conf, if you wish to do that;
so if you planned to use 'locate' to find all .rpmnew and .rpmold
files you may be for a surprise. :-)

   Michal