Some Suggestions (Mirror Space, gaim, ethereal, etc)

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Sun Jul 24 02:28:00 UTC 2005

Hi,

I am mirroring fedoralegacy FC2 into fedora.us's old apt repository.  I
noticed that legacy contains many old updates from FC2 that were long
since superceded and erased in download.fedora.redhat.com.  Can Legacy
implement an automatic obsolete update purging script in order to help
save space on the mirrors?

download.fedora.redhat.com uses something like "purge if the update
package is superceded by another update for 1 month".  Even 2 months
would be fine.  This matters a lot more with the *many* updates of
mozilla and openoffice.org happening in the past year.

May I also suggest creating a category of packages where it is generally
OK to upgrade the version because:
1) There is no ABI to break because it is a leaf-node package, like
ethereal.
2) Nobody expects ABI compat, like ethereal.
3) Or ABI/API is maintained, like gaim-1.x or spamassassin-3.x.  Plugins
built against gaim-1.0 are supposed to continue work with any future
gaim-1.x.

Fedora Legacy can save time and effort by simply following the newer
Fedora Core releases on these packages when it is safe to upgrade
versions.  No review necessary, but perhaps some testing and ACK votes
to push.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com