yum problems

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Jul 28 01:30:13 UTC 2005

Greetings;

I finally got yum to run again, by rpm -Uvh --oldpackage to put a
bunch of libxml2* and libxslt* stuff back in from the FC2 iso images.

I've added the required excludes to /etc/yum.conf to keep the self
destruction at bay (but I still, after all the mewling, fail to
understand why yum is allowed to update its required dependencies
with crap that doesn't allow yum to function ever more), but now when
I type yum update, I get this exit:

Resolving dependencies
....Unable to satisfy dependencies
Package nfs-utils needs kernel >= 2.2.14, this is not available.

Now folks, FC2 never to my knowledge had a kernel as old as 2.2.14.
The original kernel from FC2 has long since been rm'd but kernel* is
in the excludes as I'm running on any one day, the latest stable 2.6
built from tarballs, or even Ingo Molnars Realtime-Preempt series,
currently booted to 2.6.12-RT-V0.7.51-38.  In mode 4, but watch for
IRQ hungry stuff lagging X into oblivion, requireing an X restart.

As nfs is something thats NEVER worked here, I'd like to try it.

So I've installed the original kernel but with a --justdb option, and
it appears to be working.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)