Yum did it again

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 12:09:29 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-23 at 05:31 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
[...snip...]

> >> yum-2.0.7-1.1

> >> libxml2-python-2.6.16-2
> >> libxml2-devel-2.6.10-1.1.fc2.nr
> >> libxml2-2.6.16-2
> >
> >does it strike you as alarming that those 3 don't all match?
>
> No, the miss-match is in the devel file and shouldn't bother
> yum/python unless I start compileing them from scratch.

I think what Seth may have been alluding to, although I certainly don't
mean to put words in his mouth, is that if these don't match, it's an
indicator that you may be using some incorrect methodologies while doing
all this rpm mixing and matching.  IIRC, most people agree that
"--force" is bad, unless you *absolutely* know what you're doing.  I
don't see how you could have ended up with such a mismatch, without
using either "--force," or a really poorly spec'd RPM from a
non-authoritative source.  It would be pointless for me to continue
(thus betraying more ignorance on my part) given that Seth is already on
the thread.  :-)  Moving on...

[...snip...]
> I just checked, I still have the FC2 iso's so I could burn another set
> and use those to recover to the FC2 release level of
> yum/python/libxml2.  Humm, they can be mounted but I don't recall the
> syntax.  It involves using the loop device I think...

You're still thinking about this the wrong way.  Rather than try and
haphazardly rescue a borked system which is preventing you from doing
meaningful troubleshooting, why not take this chance to install (*NOT*
upgrade to) FC4 instead?  Given the pace of Fedora, you're more likely
to get help with any residual yum problems -- if indeed you have any
after installation, which I haven't -- if you're using the stuff that's
not a year old.  :-)

> >> There are pieces of python-1.5, 2.2, and 2.3 installed here.  Its
> >> been that way since I upgraded RH7.3 to FC2.
> >
> >I'd like to show you to:
> >http://torrent.fedoraproject.org
> >
> >go download an install disk and fix your system.

Disco!

> So what rpms do I now need to either update the python stuffs to be
> compatible with this new libxml2 stuff, or to downgrade the libxml2
> stuffs to regain python compatibility?
>
> I do have FC4 final downloaded and on cd's & ready to go, but after
> the debacle in getting FC2 to actually do work here, my first install
> of FC4 is going to be an upgrade on a sacrificial FC3T4 box, not on
> this, my 99% working box.  Or are the rpms on the FC4 disks
> compatible with my version of rpm?  Historically not...

Argh!  It seems you don't understand that upgrading any "test" version
to a final version is *NEVER* a recommended option.  If it's a
sacrificial box, as you say, then do an installation *from scratch*, not
an upgrade.  Once you have that done, and you see the results and like
them -- which I bet you will, since I'm using FC4 myself -- take Seth's
advice and *install* FC4 onto your "real" system.  Not an upgrade, not a
mix-and-match of RPMs (especially since "--force" is not your friend),
but an actual installation.  If, by some chance, you need help or advice
on that process, consult fedora-list since the developers on this list
are focused on discussing what's broken, working, or coming up next for
the latest and greatest Fedora stuff.

Hopefully I haven't annoyed any of said developers by pitching in on
this thread; I just thought it would save them some time and energy they
could devote to cool Fedora bits.  Not to sound sycophantic, but in case
any of them are still reading, FC4 rocks hard.  And Seth, I used to be
an up2date die-hard, but I'm now a yum convert.  The yum-utils are
superb; I can't wait for pup.  ;-)