Fedora Legacy advistory list is lacking

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Mar 1 16:11:26 UTC 2005

Quoting Dominic Hargreaves <dom at earth.li>:

> On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 10:26:17PM -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:
>
> > Now that I think back to our earlier conversations, i think the idea was
> > to modify the python tool that the builders use to generate the mail in
> > the first place to dump out a file that could be checked into the
> > webcvs, so that a regular scheduled web CVS checkout would snag the
> > update.  I haven't done anything in this area yet, but I'm still
> > thinking on it (:
>
> I'm generating the advisories manually; dunno about Marc. All tools
> gratefully received :)

One of the neat features of that is that all the advisories are different
formats (different MIME formats, different signatures, etc).  Makes parsing
them more fun. :)

The things I'd like to see, and have been on my TODO list since day one, are:

* Have CVS commits e-mailed to a list of CVS/web people.
* Have an automatted system for updating the web site from CVS (cron, etc).

So far, neither has been a big issue, since I'm the only one working on
the web site, etc.  But if any one else ever does volunteer to work on the
web site, those changes will be near critical to making things work well,
IMHO.

I've volunteered at one time or another to help setup (or to setup) both
those.

I'm not complaining, so much as just trying to state on the record what
I've asked for and volunteered for in the past.

One problem with an automatted system for the advisories is that the
advisories are not uniform when e-mailed out.  So there is always a
chance, in particular when a new person joins the team of people sending
out advisories, that a message won't get converted to html correctly.
So even in an automatted system, we'd need to keep on eye on the output
and correct any errors that might appear.  Not that this should stop us
from implementing such a system, just trying to point out that even a
good automatted system will require monitoring and tweaking.

--
Eric Rostetter