[FLSA-2005:2336] Updated kernel packages fix security issues

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Wed Mar 2 23:43:05 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-02 at 17:25 -0600, Eric Rostetter wrote:
> I'd love for this to be *more* like an *ideal* democratic process.
> But the
> problem with this project is the same as the problem with most large
> democratic groups: apathy.

True.  What I said was a little harsh.  Reality is that things that
really are serious decisions do get ran through the mail lists.

> For example, the main page of the web site has for about 11 months
> read:
>
> > A rewrite of the Fedora Legacy Project Overview is in progress at
> > http://www.fedoralegacy.org/wiki/index.php/UpdatedOverview. Everyone
> is
> > encouraged to read it and participate by submitting comments,
> suggestions, and
> > other feedback via the wiki, or via e-mail to fedora-legacy-
> list at redhat.com.
>
> Guess how many people have sent any comments, updated the wiki page,
> suggested
> we adopt it as-is,  other wise shown any interest in this?  Not one.
> Not
> a single person.  No one.  Nada.  You get the idea.
>
> The main problem I have with people expecting so much from the project
> is
> that almost no one seems to even care to take the time to help in
> even
> the most trivial ways.

I see this too.  I'd love to not have to manage so much right now, to be
able to take time to clearly write out some things, to take a look at
the little things that would help.  All in due time I feel.  I'm slowly
able to make progress and thats better than nothing.  People like you
are helping more than you know.

> > decision that I feel requires community input, I'll bring it here.
> Not
> > for a vote, but for opinions that will help me make said decision.
> If
>
> And most likely you will either get no answer, or just conflicting
> arguments
> from which nothing is settled, if past history holds true.

But at least I've made an effort.  This is what I mean by getting
opinions and arguments to help me make the decision.  Thats what
decision makers do, they listen to views and opinions, participate in
discussions, etc... and make decisions based upon the input and output.

> > you don't like this, you're welcome to start your own project.  Good
> > luck w/ that.
>
> *grin*
>
> This really is a great project, dispite the small number of active
> participants.
> I don't think any better project could be created to do this function.
> There
> simply are not enough interested people to support another project to
> the
> level of support FL has achieved.
>
> That's not to say we're doing fine.  But I think we're doing as good
> as we
> can without more people deciding to join in and help.  People always
> say
> "I'd like to help but I don't know how."  Well, read the Updated
> Overview
> and let us know what you think about it!  It isn't that hard, and you
> would be helping.

Was I helpful?  Let others know: