how to get started with helping the project [...]

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Thu Mar 3 06:06:15 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> OK, now I
> think I know what was broke, where do I go to determine what was fixed
> so that I know what to test?   Oh well, I give up and just test the
> stuff that I use in mc.   Great, all works (afaik), sha1sum and post a
> VERIFY.  More days pass, more deep level comments about more mc issues
> needing resolution.  The result: all the time I spent was a waste.

Maybe the docs are not sufficiently clear how to "get started".  I've
tried to improve them but without much success I guess.

First, take a look at:
   http://www.fedoralegacy.org/wiki/index.php/QaTesting

Decide how you'd like to help, basically:
  a) create packages to fix issues
  b) QA packages created by others to ("PUBLISH voting"), and/or
  c) QA packages in updates-testing ("VERIFY voting")

Then, take a look at (this is linked from /participate/):
  http://www-astro.physics.ox.ac.uk/~dom/legacy/issues.txt

If a), look for packages with "needs investigation/work/packages"
If b), look under "NEEDS publish"
If c), look under "NEEDS verify" (for RHL/FC version you have)

I assume you'd like to do c), at least initially -- it's the easiest.
Currently there are about 16 packages waiting for one or more VERIFY
votes.  It would be really useful to try help with these.  VERIFYING
is really trivial if you have ever used the application in question,
and you have access to the right RHL/FC versions.

For how to do VERIFY testing, take another look at
  http://www.fedoralegacy.org/wiki/index.php/QaTesting under
  "Testing packages for release to updates".

It's really very simple!

Please, we REALLY need people to do QA -- _especially_ VERIFYing
because it requires the right RHL/FC version and the possibility to
quick-test an application.