how to get started with helping the project [...]

Gilbert Sebenste sebenste at weather.admin.niu.edu
Thu Mar 3 18:02:05 UTC 2005

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, Jim Popovitch wrote:

> But FL does need to have the same *quality*.  Quality doesn't come
> easily, and it's not something that should be taken lightly.  At the end
> of the day I just want to contribute to a project that produces
> something of quality, time and time again.

And it does, at a community level. Granted, the lateness of some of the
updates due to the machine meltdown caused serious problems. But the
actual updates themselves have been great, and updates are coming fast
and furious now (for which I am grateful to our esteemed developers!!!).

> Currently the complex puzzle, that FL calls a release, makes it
> difficult for FL to grow, in fact I think it is driving people away.  Do
> you want people to depend on FL or do you want them to participate only
> to the point that they become convinced that paying RH or others is a
> much better course.

Again, you need to understand FL for what it is. It provides a good level
of support, but it doesn't come out with a certified release 5 minutes
after a bug is found. People should look at their needs and what FL
provides. For some people, and you may be one of them, what is provided
won't be enough to satisfy your needs. Others, like me, find what is
provided to be satisfactory.

E-mail: sebenste at weather.admin.niu.edu                                  ***