how to get started with helping the project [...]

Thomas Reinke lists at securityspace.com
Thu Mar 3 21:07:17 UTC 2005

Jim Popovitch wrote:

> All I'm saying is this:  Put the truth on the website.  If FL isn't
> meant to be relied upon, nor if it isn't meant to be used in production
> systems, nor if it isn't suppose to be quality support for EOL'ed RH
> systems... just put the truth on the website so that visitors have
> correct data.

It seems you're not asking for the truth. You're asking for your
requirements to be reflected in the statements on the web site and
the handling of the project as a whole.  But your requirements are
not the same, it seems, as others.  FL CAN be relied upon, IS used
in production systems, and has adequate quality of support (for us).
But then, as you see, our requirements as a tech savvy shop are a bit
different from yours. As a lurker ONLY, I see nothing misleading or
misrepresentative of the legacy project or the statements.

1) There is a community of people (small, but there none-the-less)
    providing work to extend the life of selected RH/FC releases

2) They provide this work for FREE.

3) They make no guarantees about the quality. But hell, nor does
    FC.  For those of us that choose to use FC and extend its
    usefulness with FC Legacy, I see nothing misrepresented here.

4) They provide this work for FREE. For FREE!!!! If you don't like
    it, either get involved, or use another distribution.
    There's nothing wrong with providing some criticism where due,
    but there's a fine line to toe when criticizing the quality
    of something that comes for free and for which (it would appear)
    the largest effort that has been expended is in this email
    thread.

 From my perspective, Kudos to the legacy team for tackling a hell
of a difficult job with very limited resources and for actually
making somewhat a go of it.

Thomas