About Fedora Legacy's WikiSite

Kelson kelson at speed.net
Mon Mar 14 17:35:52 UTC 2005

Eric Rostetter wrote:
> In another project I work on, using different wiki software, each wiki
> change is e-mailed to the core developers.  That way the core developers
> immediately see any changes, and can "immediately" fix any spam attacks,
> bogus entries, etc.  Sounds like that would be a lot of e-mail traffic
> but it really isn't (wiki pages are not updated as often as one would
> think).

You never know.  If spammers start targetting wikis with the same effort
they put into blogs, you might start seeing a *lot* of mail.  A typical
blog comment spam run on my site seems to last about an hour and post
100-200 comments.  I have countermeasures, of course, and on the rare
occasions something gets through it's generally a one-off or from a
small run of about 5, but the scale is still staggering -- and if I had
to get an email about each attempt, I'd be buried under them.

As for the scale, this does have to do with two things: (1) My blog goes
back about 2 years, so there are a lot of posts for them to target, and
(2) it's much simpler to automate sending to comment forms, since it's
usually a single transaction, than to automate a wiki change, since you
often have to log in, meaning you need to implement an actual session
and not just fire off a POST with the right field names.

--
Kelson Vibber