FL update policy [Re: just one VERIFY to be fully published]

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Tue Mar 22 06:55:33 UTC 2005

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005, Marc Deslauriers wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 15:52 +0200, Pekka Savola wrote:
>> and RHL73 :).  I was just pointing out that as Fedora Legacy will drop
>> FC1 soon and pick up FC2, I was hoping that there would be more people
>
> Fedora Legacy isn't dropping FC1 soon. As per the "1-2-3 and out" policy
> as defined in the FL FAQ, we'll be dropping FC1 support once Red Hat
> stops FC4 maintenance and transfers it to FL.

Hmm.. maybe the FAQ is not clear enough.
======
Q:  	What does the 1-2-3 and out policy mean?

Fedora Core releases will follow the so-called "1-2-3 and out" policy
in co-operation with Red Hat/Fedora Core. This means that when the Red
Hat/Fedora Core group no longer supports a Fedora Core release, Fedora
Legacy will pick it up and maintain it for two additional Fedora Core
release cycles. Based on the current schedule for Fedora Core
releases, this should provide each release with approximately 1.5
years of total update support.

In short, Fedora Legacy will provide updates for any Fedora Core
releases up to two versions back from the current release.
=======

The first paragraph seems to be saying (in a bit complex fashion)
what you were saying -- in practice, that when FC drops FC3
support, FL drops FC1 support.

However, the last paragraph could be read so that when Fedora Core 4
is released ("the current release"), FL will ensure that both FC3 and
FC2 are still supported (but not necessarily FC1).

Two questions:
  1) Does this need to be clarified?
  2) If the 1st paragraph is correct, do we have resources to do that
kind of continued maintenance?  Unfortunately, at the momemnt, I'm
rather skeptical...

At most, we should provide FC1 support until a month or two after FC4
is released. That'd probably allow the folks to migrate from FC1 to
FC4.  One FC release at the time.

Unless, of course, we drop RHL73 and RHL9.  I wouldn't want that at
least; that's my main (only) interest in Fedora Legacy at the moment.