mysql-server

Pettit, Paul ismanager at ccbnpts.com
Tue Mar 29 20:41:01 UTC 2005

> From: Tom Yates [mailto:madlists at teaparty.net]
>
> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005, Pettit, Paul wrote:
>
> > I was using the term "federal" in it's broadest terms.
> Guess I should
> > have used the word "government" instead ... or would you have taken
> > offence to that too?
>
> it's not an issue of "taking offence".  language is for
> communication, and
> the word "federal" carries some very specific meanings -
> which vary widely
> from one federated entity to another!  if you want a
> broad-brush term, how
> about simply "holidays"?
>
> > Please try and not start some kind of 'them vs us' fight
> where there was
> > none intended.
>
> i'm pleased to know none such was intended; i apologise for
> giving the
> impression i had taken up cudgels.

Np.

The word "holidays" is too broad and it too is open to translation. My
focus was on holidays that are the typical ones that businesses close
on. These are usually major religious or government holidays. There are
tons more that are not truly recognized in all countries or even in the
countries they originated from.

> > And how I handle it is obviously not too important here.
>
> not so!  but there are definitely "wrong" ways to apply
> patches, and if
> you're pointing out a problem that the community believes was
> caused by
> the way you apply patches, they might well question your patching
> methodology before changing things to accommodate it.
>
> but it's always worth raising things, in case you're the tip of the
> iceberg, and 5,000 other users suffer from the same problem.

I have no idea if it is or isn't, I was mearly stating my opinion that I
thought more care should be taken for those that just *might* be relying
on autoupdates more than say you are.

Of course you can't please everyone, just find the best compromise as
you can.

> > Since there is no way to cache the downloads for
> implienting manually I
> > guess I'm SOL.
>
> i'm sorry, but i think you're wrong, although i don't quite
> understand the
> comment.  i think there are probably a number of ways to do
> what you want
> to do, if i guess aright.  yum may or may not be the right
> tool to do it.
>
> could you clarify what you're aiming at?  possibly off-list?

Hopefully I've covered this in my previous response but certainly if I'm
still not being clear I'll email you directly. I prefer that the list
get a chance to sound off but ...

> > I don't want to go to each and every machine (I have more
> than 1) and
> > manually run yum to update them. It defeats the purpose of
> having cron.
>
> ok.  then you might want to consider having your own release
> repository,
> to which you don't release patches until they satisfy your additional
> release criteria.

My goal is not just for me. Yeah sure it will affect me but I'm sure
others had mySQL failures that never posted anything. The crux of the
thread is to ensure that maybe it won't happen again at such and bad
time as when people are out on holiday.

As for me I know what I'm going to do from here out. No need to setup a
repository or other massive changes, simply write a better script for
the cron to deal with (you gave me the idea btw).

> > p.s. fedoralegacy.org is refusing connections. :(
>
> i use mirrordir to keep my own local cache updated, if that
> suggestion's
> any help.
>

> --
>
>    Tom Yates
>    Cambridge, UK.

It was the web site and it's back up now.

Paul Pettit