mysql-server

Matthew Nuzum matt.followers at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 20:37:14 UTC 2005

> On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 01:05:51PM -0600, Eric Rostetter wrote:
> > Maybe yum could be modified to allow you to download the updates to the
> > cache without installing them
>
> Not much need for this, really.  'yum check-update' will produce not
> only a status but a list of packages if any available.  Feeding that
> to a program (lftp, wget, .... ) which will retrieve those from
> suitable mirrors is not that complicated.
>
>    Michal

Sorry for jumping in here so late, I haven't really followed the discussion
closely but I just thought I should mention this. One of the offices I set
up had a slow internet connection and getting updates to all the computers
was tricky. The caching proxy SQUID when set-up in transparent proxying mode
caused the updates to download extremely fast for each subsequent computer
that installed updates after the first computer downloaded it.

I suspect that you could just install a SQUID cache (not in transparent
proxying mode) and tell yum to use it as a proxy server, allowing you to
basically just proxy your updates.

We even found a few tricks that allowed us to cache Microsoft's Windows
updates and our antivirus software's updates (both of which send headers to
prevent caching) allowing us to drastically reduce our bandwidth
requirements.

Just some food for thought. Sorry if this was completely off-topic.

--
Matthew Nuzum <matt at followers.net>
www.followers.net - Makers of "Elite Content Management System"