mysql-server

Pettit, Paul ismanager at ccbnpts.com
Tue Mar 29 23:45:50 UTC 2005

> Eric Rostetter
>
> Quoting "Pettit, Paul" <ismanager at ccbnpts.com>:
>
> > Heh, well do you happen to know when the yum auto update
> runs? You are
>
> When ever you tell it to.

Ooooh, so tempting ...

Um, no. It runs when cron.daily runs and that runs at ONE time in the
day. Move the time cron.daily runs and you move the time a ton of other
things run.

Remember we are talking with the *stock* setup as detailed in the
documentation.

> > aware of the impact that FL's documentation has if you simply follow
> > step 4 and make no other changes?
>
> So why don't you propose changes to the docs?

Actually the docs really aren't a problem other than maybe a warning on
the impact of auto-updating for those less familure and maybe a list of
problematic major package other than kernel that should be excluded.

But the docs are spot on for setup and that's really what they are for
so no real issue there.

> > It is FL's documentation after all so
>
> FL is a community.  The docs are the community's docs.  As part of the
> community, they are now your docs also.  If you find fault in them,
> help change them.

Considering the above I'll see what I can do.

> > you should know that those using the yum auto update would
> update Friday
> > MORNING at 4am or so (assuming that cron.daily is running per stock
> > settings).
>
> And you implemented it, so hopefully *you* would know when it
> would run,
> and change it if needed.

Oh yes, I knew when it was to run. I just didn't expect an update right
before Easter. Just one of those things. If your worried about me trying
to shift blame you can stop. My sole goal was to point out that
releasing updates right before or on holidays was a bad idea. You
disagree, so there we are.

> But, as your discussion (not you) pointed out, the docs probably need
> updating.  It's now on my todo list because of your discussion.
>
> > Look, all I wanted to do was point out a particular
> situation. If the
>
> You also pointed out a particular solution.  It was rejected.
>  But some
> people would still like to help you and others to find
> another solution.
> If you don't want that help, say so.

Just why is scheduling updates (or limiting them to business days in
what ever TZ your in) bad? You rejected it but with no actual
explaination.

Anyway, people (inc. me) have already made suggestions that are
independent of FL being responsive. Thanks though, if I think I'll get
some help I'll contact you.

> > powers that be (i.e. you?) feel it's of no concern than so
> be it. Life
>
> With all the e-mails this thread is generating, how could you think it
> is of no concern to us?

Because you have rejected the problem without explination of why you
feel this isn't a problem beyond the "you shouldn't use auto-updating"
or "it's a yum problem" answer of which neither is valid. As stewards of
these updates you bear a bit more responsibility than that.

> > goes on, we find work arounds, and things proceed in a (somewhat)
> > orderly fasion. I hope that those "powers" take note but if
> not then oh
> > well, at least I did my part and spoke up and no one can
> say "why did
> > that update fail on Christmas!" We all know now that it's
> possible that
> > an FL update will appear on Christmas Eve and should plan
> and program
> > accordingly. :)
>
> Yes, true.
>
> --