mysql-server

David Rees drees at greenhydrant.com
Wed Mar 30 02:36:59 UTC 2005

On Tue, March 29, 2005 5:39 pm, Marc Deslauriers said:

> I didn't say it was of no concern. Actually, I think you're right about
> being careful around holidays. We should try to not release official
> updates near weekends and holidays. What does everyone think?

I work weekends and all public holidays here in the states, but have all
Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays off.  It would be extremely convenient to me
if FL would only release updates on weekends and holidays, because then
I'll be in the office in case something breaks.

Insert tongue-in-cheek here.  :-P

It's already been said why restricting release periods is a bad idea, but
I'll say it again.  Security updates (the primary reason FL exists) need
to be released ASAP, not when it's convenient for all of its users.
Especially if you are using mirrors which tend to lag behind the primary
for some period of time.  It doesn't take much time for a cracker to write
a worm which might take advantage of some exploit, the less time my
systems are vulnerable to attack the better.  If you wish to submit your
machines to longer periods of vulnerability, risk your own machines, not
everyone else's too.

If you are concerned that a weekend update will break your machine,
there's already been a number of suggestions in this thread on how to work
around that issue.  It would be nice to have a RHN-style system, but as
far as I know one doesn't exist unless you are willing to pay RHN license
fees in which case you wouldn't be here...

-Dave