mysql-server

David Rees drees at greenhydrant.com
Wed Mar 30 19:25:00 UTC 2005

On Wed, March 30, 2005 8:51 am, Pettit, Paul said:
>> Eric Rostetter
>> I think your opinion is worth the world.  And a lot of good ideas have
>> come from this discussion, some of which will help FL and its users
>> in the future.
>
> I can't see how anyone could believe you when you say "your opinion is
> worth the world". You've done nothing but attack me and my thoughts on
> the subject. I guess you value my opinion as it gives you ammo to shoot
> me with.

>From my point of view, the whole disagreement started when you (Paul)
started chastising the list (whether or not you meant for it to sound like
that) for not seeing things the way you saw them.

At which point people started getting defensive and annoyed (me included)
and the thread took on it's own life from there.

On Wed, March 30, 2005 8:25 am, Pettit, Paul said:
> Yes I did and it's the bet response of all the posts here. I thank you
> for actually trying to solve the problem, that's what a community is
> for. Saddly you're the only one that really did that. Tom had the same
> idea but (heh) did it in less useful terminology. :)

Just trying to solve a problem and get the flame-fest under control.  ;-)
I'm glad you finally found a good solution to your problem.

> Yeah that will work for now but dealing with holidays is a bit more
> tricky. Yum nor Crom really don't have any method for dealing with it
> and I'm not aware of another job scheduler for linux that would resolve
> the core issue.
>
> There in is the nut I need to crack. FL will be of no help in dealing
> with it and I can see why: tz issues, lack of ownership, no drive to
> resolve, and the mantra of security (updates out asap when "ready", not
> that that's bad).

This type of tone can easily set people off, even though the second
paragraph is true, it really does sound like an attack, whether you mean it
or not.  I would suggest leaving these types of comments off the list,
and instead keep posts focused on solutions (like you say below).

> I'll have to do some more programing and I'll try and send out the
> improved script (if I get it to work well) so others can use it. Did a
> test run but it took like 3 hours to run and I'm not sure why. :P

On Wed, March 30, 2005 8:51 am, Pettit, Paul said:

> It was never a battle in my mind (don't bother responding, you DO NOT
> know what I think) but an opinion that you took as an atttack on how FL
> runs.

It looked a battle to me on both ends.  I know I was frustrated.  Perhaps
we can all learn a lesson from this and think of the people on the other
side of the wire and keep the comments productive.

Cheers

Dave