Updates Politics Proposal

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Wed May 25 22:57:46 UTC 2005

Matthew Miller wrote:

>On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 04:01:00PM -0500, Eric Rostetter wrote:
>

>>But it is an unfounded frustration, as your understanding of the policy is
>>incorrect.
>>

>To be fair, it's basically what I've been pretty regularly saying the policy
>is. So some of the blame there rests with me. As I see it, open the door to
>"critical" non-security bugs is a problem, because it puts us in the
>situation of having to decide what's critical and what's not -- a more
>subjective determination than "is this a security flaw".

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread.  As a result, Fedora
Legacy policy is increasingly clear.  (It is also clear that my use of
fedora core 2 and participation in Fedora Legacy will likely be
relatively short lived. )

Before gravitating elsewhere, though, I will offer an opinion.  Unless
there is a restrictive covenent in Red Hat's support of Fedora Legacy
that limits updates to "security" and "trivial" patches, there is reason
to consider broadening "updates policy" somewhat beyond security only.
Fedora Legacy updates policy and willingness of the community to support
Fedora Legacy are not independent of one another.   However the issue is
resolved I wish the group well.