Network Printing

Tom Adelstein adelste at yahoo.com
Fri May 6 14:59:18 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-05 at 23:46 -0400, David Curry wrote:
> Greetings everyone.
>
> After years of resistance, I recently capitulated to the demands of the
> wife for a windows laptop (started biting nails and gnashing teeth
> almost immediately when the damn thing went into hibernation mode and
> would not subsequently even turn on).  But, I digress.
>
> Despite having used linux since Redhat 4.1, my desktop pc has never been
> part of a local area network.  Now I need to do just that with the lan
> consisting of a netgear WGR614v5 router, my desktop system running FC2,
> the Windows XP home Laptop, and a network printer for joint use of my pc
> and the laptop.  The printer is currently connected directly to my
> desktop system, but otherwise the network is up and running with
> wireless connections through a secure mode (WPA-PSK).
>
> O'Reilly's Linux Cookbook, chapter 14, tells me that using my desktop
> system as a printer-server running CUPS I should be able to share
> printers with a Windows PC.  That is, I should not need to run samba as
> well as cups.  Presently, two printers are connected directly to my
> desktop - an HP laserjet and an HP multifunction
> copier/fax/printer/scanner.  What I think I would like to do is connect
> the multifunction machine directly to the netgear router for network use
> and keep the laserjet connected directly to the desktop.
>
> Questions I would like to pose are:
> 1.  Will my desktop be able to function as the print server for a
> "remote" printer connected to it through a rounter?
> 2.  Would moving the multifunction machine to the router necessarily
> result in loss of its scanning capabilities?
>
> Suggestions/thoughts on the lan arrangement would be appreciated.
>
> Dave Curry

David,

Cups works with Samba to allow network printing to Windows.

When you use Windows network view (network neighborhood) the printer
queue shows up. It's not the physical printer but the queue.

I name mine lp0, lp1, etc.

I run the cups web configuration tool localhost:631 and add the printers
through there. I often delete the existing queues if they were not setup
with cups. You also need to run in the RAW mode so the Windows printer
sends its code to the Linux box directly to the queue.

You have to set up Samba and share your printer by name.

I use SWAT, even though many people scold me for it. But at home and in
a controlled environment behind a firewall, it's pretty easy. You can
get to it localhost:901.

You should be able to use root + yourpassword to get there.

I don't run SAMBA as a domain controller - and I use the name workgroup
and use share level security.

I've tested the set up at https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Take a look at this howto by Andrew Tridgell - the founder of SAMBA

http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1031534&page=1

You may not have swat installed -- you may need a newer version

http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/fedora/updates/3/i386/samba-
swat-3.0.10-1.fc3.i386.html

It your need further help, let me know.