Network Printing

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Fri May 6 15:13:40 UTC 2005

Quoting David Curry <dsccable at comcast.net>:

Note that this really isn't the appropriate mailing list for such questions
but I'll answer it anyway.

> well as cups.  Presently, two printers are connected directly to my
> desktop - an HP laserjet and an HP multifunction
> copier/fax/printer/scanner.

I'd leave them both connected the linux box, if you can leave the linux
box on all the time (so the printer is always available).

> What I think I would like to do is connect
> the multifunction machine directly to the netgear router for network use
> and keep the laserjet connected directly to the desktop.

If the multifunction as a JetDirect card or similar, this would work.

> Questions I would like to pose are:
> 1.  Will my desktop be able to function as the print server for a
> "remote" printer connected to it through a rounter?

Yes.

> 2.  Would moving the multifunction machine to the router necessarily
> result in loss of its scanning capabilities?

No idea.

> Suggestions/thoughts on the lan arrangement would be appreciated.

Leave the printers on the linux machine, leave the linux machine on all
the time.  Use cups or LPRng on the linux box.  On windows, you may need
to install the Unix Printer Utilities or some such.

No reason this shouldn't work for printing.  Scanning et al is a
different can of worms.

--
Eric Rostetter