Problems With 2 Legacy Packages For Red Hat 9

Marc Deslauriers marcdeslauriers at videotron.ca
Tue May 10 00:56:08 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 01:32 +0200, Igor Nestorović wrote:
> First one was gnome-vfs2 package which crafted incorrectly my GNOME
> start menu, hatching everything above 'Run Program...' option. Luckilly
> there was a 'rpmsave' config that put things right.

What file had an "rpmsave" config?

> The second is serious, and it's concerned the kernel package,
> 2.4.20-42.9.legacysmp, as well as the latest one. 2.4.20-43.legacysmp.
> I lost automatic power off for the computer. The system just hangs
> after 'Power Down' message, instead of shutting off, like it used to.
> What was changed? Is there some new unconfigured module I should be
> aware?

Does the problem occur with the last kernel Red Hat produced? Could you
try it with kernel-2.4.20-31.9?

Also, could you also post a dmesg from the last kernel Red Hat issued
for rh9?

Actually, AFAIK, the "smp" kernels don't have APM, so they would not
shut down by themselves. Are you sure you weren't running a uniprocessor
kernel before?

Thanks.

Marc.