Getting help (was Re: FC2 quit connecting)

Tom Adelstein adelste at yahoo.com
Mon May 16 14:35:01 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-05-15 at 22:56 -0400, David Curry wrote:
> Jason Lim wrote:
>
> >>Anybody know where *is* a place to get help with FC versions in legacy
> >>status? By the time they're mature enough for me to cope with, they've
> >>usually *been* in that status a while. (And yes, I am indeed looking
> >>around for some other distro; it'll take a while.) I find
> >>

> >fedoraforum.org,
> >

> >>for instance, inordinately hard to use ....
> >>

> >I know I won't be popular for mentioning any other distro, but Debian and
> >Debian based distros like Ubuntu, Knoppix, and so forth, tend to have long
> >version times.
> >
> >For example, the current Debian version has been released for about 3
> >years if I am correct, and all that time, security updates, etc. are
> >provided. And even now, although they are releasing a new version, the
> >Debain Security Team is going to continue updates for the existing version
> >for another 1 to 1.5 years. This makes it excellent for servers and where
> >stability counts.
> >
> >It doesn't have the latest whiz-bang features of Fedora, but it sounds
> >like that is not your main focus.
> >
> >I actually think providing legacy updates for the FC releases is going to
> >implode sooner or later, since there are not enough people to keep
> >supporting so many releases as they come out and the release maintainers
> >and others are going to burn out.. I think focusing on legacy for Redhat 9
> >would make far more sense, and seems the main reason the majority are
> >using FedoraLegacy.org anyway.
> >

> Beartooth, I hear you loud and clear and the message resonates here.  I
> am looking at shifting from my FC2 installation to a Debian-based
> distribution for some of the reasons Jason identified.  In addition to
> Ubuntu and Knoppix, there is Kbuntu and MEPIS.  (MEPIS is a subscription
> distribution that is available as a LiveCD with an option to easily
> install on the hard disk.)  However, there is also at least one Red Hat
> based alternative.
>
> Centos is a Red Hat Enterprise Linux clone that you might want to take a
> look at.  As I understand it, Centos IS RHEL without the Red Hat
> trademarked items and the project's goal is to parallel support life of
> RHEL which is something like 3 - 5 years.  File structures, system
> utility names, etc. should all be the same.
>
> I think Jason is pretty much on the mark about legacy support of Fedora
> releases if one thinks solely in terms of each and every release.  OTOH,
> I can see people sticking with some versions of Fedora much longer than
> other versions.  And, I can see more people gravitating to fedoralegacy
> as the upgrade cycle continues just as some now lending some supporting
> hands on older releases may bite the bullet, upgrade to the current
> Fedora release, and drop off the legacy list for the official support
> cycle for that release.  BUT, those who are most interested in fedora
> releases mature enough for some production environments could well
> [...]

<hiding from potential shrapnel attacks>

I have studied Linux distros for a while. I even compared them all in
some serious testing while writing a book for O'Reilly & Associates.

With the proper tweaking, Fedora Core III stands heads above the others.
You can read my evaluations on the Linux Journal web site and other
places around the Internet.

I started a series in Linux Journal this week which provides a bunch of
performance optimization hacks to Fedora and Ubuntu. It's about a five
part series and I'm going to do a summary.

If you're looking for a serious web server to co-host at an ISP, I don't
know that I would use an non-enterprise system. I went with Red Hat
Enterprise Linux 4 for our business systems.

But, I use Fedora Core 3 for our desktops and we're pleased with it. I
get pretty much any distro I want for free for just doing an evaluation.

So, maybe that says something.

Tom