[OT FC1]: Updates

James Kosin jkosin at beta.intcomgrp.com
Fri May 20 16:33:35 UTC 2005

Everyone,

I've been very busy with updates...

(1)  INN update to version 2.4.1
~    I've updated the inn server to the 2.4.1 for FC1.  Changes are
vast in the source.  The configuration parser has also changed (the
biggest change).
~    Users using the version for FC1 will need to edit the inn.conf
file to not have any blank configuration lines.  They want to see
every line filled in with true / false, strings need to be in quotes
"", and need to add the line 'hismethod:   hisv6' to the inn.conf
file. New users need to use the .rpmnew files, that would be the best
place to start.
~    I'll probably have more changes as I find the issues.  Right now
the server works with the mirror changes above and reconfiguring the
files.  I did have the expire script crash the first day of expiring
messages.  Not sure if this was related to the upgrade.  INN stopped
running because of this; but, a restart and a re-run of the news.daily
script showed no problems and it has been running for days.
~    Remember, the utilities in /usr/lib/news/bin are your friends...
use them.

Packages:
http://support.intcomgrp.com/mirror/fedora-core/beta/i386/inews-2.4.1-1.i386.rpm
http://support.intcomgrp.com/mirror/fedora-core/beta/i386/inn-2.4.1-1.i386.rpm
http://support.intcomgrp.com/mirror/fedora-core/beta/i386/inn-devel-2.4.1-1.i386.rpm
Sources:
http://support.intcomgrp.com/mirror/fedora-core/beta/src/inn-2.4.1-1.src.rpm

(2)  Kernel   version 2.4.30-1.2
~    This is version 2.4.31-pre2-bk2 patched version.  I'll have to
figure out how to make ia64 work.  These versions already have support
for the processor; because I tried the ia64 patch which stated they
had already been applied.
~    Remember!  Keep the release kernel for Fedora Core 1 handy.  I
don't guarantee my version will work for everyone.

Packages:
http://support.intcomgrp.com/mirror/fedora-core/beta/i386/kernel-2.4.30-1.2.fc1.vanilla.i686.rpm
http://support.intcomgrp.com/mirror/fedora-core/beta/i386/kernel-doc-2.4.30-1.2.fc1.vanilla.i386.rpm
http://support.intcomgrp.com/mirror/fedora-core/beta/i386/kernel-smp-2.4.30-1.2.fc1.vanilla.i686.rpm
http://support.intcomgrp.com/mirror/fedora-core/beta/i386/kernel-source-2.4.30-1.2.fc1.vanilla.i386.rpm
Sources:
http://support.intcomgrp.com/mirror/fedora-core/beta/src/kernel-2.4.30-1.2.fc1.vanilla.src.rpm

(3)  ClamAV version 0.85.1
~    Yes, clamav had another update.

Packages:
http://support.intcomgrp.com/mirror/fedora-core/beta/i386/clamav-0.85.1-1.fc1.i386.rpm
http://support.intcomgrp.com/mirror/fedora-core/beta/i386/clamav-devel-0.85.1-1.fc1.i386.rpm
http://support.intcomgrp.com/mirror/fedora-core/beta/i386/clamav-milter-0.85.1-1.fc1.i386.rpm
Sources:
http://support.intcomgrp.com/mirror/fedora-core/beta/src/clamav-0.85.1-1.fc1.src.rpm

(4)  BIND version 9.2.5
~    I've got the 9.2.5 from ISC compiled for FC1.  Checkout their
homepage http://www.isc.org/index.pl?/sw/bind/ ...

Packages:
http://support.intcomgrp.com/mirror/fedora-core/beta/i386/bind-9.2.5-1.i386.rpm
http://support.intcomgrp.com/mirror/fedora-core/beta/i386/bind-chroot-9.2.5-1.i386.rpm
http://support.intcomgrp.com/mirror/fedora-core/beta/i386/bind-devel-9.2.5-1.i386.rpm
http://support.intcomgrp.com/mirror/fedora-core/beta/i386/bind-utils-9.2.5-1.i386.rpm
Sources:
http://support.intcomgrp.com/mirror/fedora-core/beta/src/bind-9.2.5-1.src.rpm

I was going to update NTP but; read the notes for the FC1 rpm saying
that version 4.2.0 was BUGGY!!!  So I stayed away from that version.
In fact FC1 was back-ported to the earlier version because of the bugs
was interesting; since, I've been reading a lot on various lists about
NTP not working in FC3.  Version 4.2.0 has been released by ISC since
2003??  So, I'm not sure why the problems or bugs; but, I'm holding off.

Thanks,
James Kosin