Crons Not Running?

Max Pyziur pyz at brama.com
Wed May 25 17:18:51 UTC 2005

> I just completed a very tedious set of server upgrades, using yum, from RH
> FC1.  Having arrived at my (current) destination, I have most of my server
> running but my nightly crons don't seem to be running and I have no idea
> why.
>
> As a RH 7.2 server, I use /etc/crontab and run-parts to execute my hourly,
> daily, etc crons.  Somewhere along the upgrade process this seems to have
> broken.  Either the crons are not running at all or I am not getting an
> email
> that indicates it.
>
> How do I track down the problem and fix it?

W/o getting too obvious about it, is your crond daemon running?

Can be checked with command:
service crond status

Use
chkconfig --list crond
to check which runlevels are set; 2, 3, 4, 5 should be set to "on".

chkconfig --level 2345 crond
takes care of the setting.

If hourly jobs are running in /var/log/cron you should see:
"(root) CMD (run-parts /etc/cron.hourly)"

Is whatever you park in /etc/cron.[hourly|daily|weekly|monthly] executable?

I realize that after an upgrade where you drill down to the details to
make sure that all rpm dependencies are resolved the above mundane stuff
may be overlooked.  You're looking for "... x, y, z" when it's "a, b, c
..."

> Thanks!
>
> ...Jake

Max