Upcoming transition of FC3

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Wed Oct 19 17:57:34 UTC 2005

FC3 will soon be in our hands, when FC5 test 2 is released.  According
to our schedule, this means that FC1 will be retired.  FC2 and FC3 will
be the maintained Fedora releases.

I will be working with Red Hat to try and make a smooth transition
between them and us for FC3 updates.  Today I am populating the download
server with the current FC3 content and I will be syncing at regular
intervals until release time.  I'm open to ideas regarding the
transition, but my current thought is to have Red Hat make one final
update to yum that would include an /etc/yum.repos.d/legacy.repo file
that has all our repository information there.  Turned off of course, I
still want uses to make a conscience choice on turning on Legacy
updates.

As for FC1, now would be a great time to make a big push on clearing out
all current bugs open particularly for FC1.  When we take on Fc3, we
will fulfill all open bugs for FC1, but not open any new ones.  The
content will remain on the download server for now, although duplicate
updates or deprecated updates may be removed to save disk space.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE      (http://geek.j2solutions.net)
Fedora Legacy Team      (http://www.fedoralegacy.org)

Was I helpful?  Let others know: