dependency hell, version 2,197,386.1

Ian Burrell ianburrell at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 22:14:47 UTC 2005

On 10/26/05, Michal Jaegermann <michal at harddata.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 10:01:08AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >
> > Yes Seth, but it does tend to scrap the currently valid stuff in ones
> > grub.conf,
>
> For a very long time I did not see an installation procedure to mess
> with my "extra" boot entries; it adds just new ones.  In any case
> there is a very simple way to "protect" yourself.  Edit your
> /etc/grub.conf with "non-standard" titles.  That should be enough to
> sufficiently confuse an automatic editing so it will leave all of
> that configuration alone.  Of course then it is up to you to fix
> things up after every change in boot images.
>
> > and I'd rather do my own editing of grub.conf.
>
> Your choice; but if you prefer a "manual installation labor" then
> learn how to do it completely and resolve dependencies and override
> checks, where this makes sense, manually too.  It is easier to mess
> up that way but it is doable.  Still this leaves you without a valid
> complaint that some things are unhappy.
>
> I would think that a better way to achieve you goals would be to
> keep a copy of your current grub.conf, install, restore the previous
> version of grub.conf from that copy and edit results to your taste.

He can configure the updater to not change the default grub entry.
This is done by editing /etc/sysconfig/kernel and changing
UPDATEDEFAULT to 'no'.

This should keep rpm kernel installs from changing the default grub.
I have not seen the grub updater mangle other lines.  It is good about
only adding and removing the Fedora kernel entries.  If his custom
entries don't look like Fedora kernels, then grubby won't touch them.

It is a good idea to have at least one Fedora kernel installed and
bootable.  Both to keep rpm happy, and to allow a fallback if things
go wrong with the custom kernel.

 - Ian