Old yum? New yum? Re: Typo in yum instructions

David Eisenstein deisenst at gtw.net
Mon Oct 31 22:26:33 UTC 2005

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005, Jesse Keating wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 12:55 -0800, Kenneth Porter wrote:
> > I upgraded one server to get the new improved XML metadata, only to find
> > that Legacy didn't have the new metadata. So I didn't apply the update to
> > my other servers. (I use one server as a guinea pig before letting the
> > others update themselves.)
> >

> Legacy has this metadata now, and other mirrors will have it when they
> sync. (as of a week ago?)

Can someone explain about "old yum" and "new yum?"  I am confused about
this, and am not finding anything in Fedora Legacy's documentation that
helps me better understand it.

I run Fedora Core 1, and have its yum (yum-2.0.4-2 from the original FC1
distro) installed.  Is this the "new" yum?  Or is the yum in updates for
FC1 (yum-2.0.5-1) the new yum?  If not, how do I go about getting the new
yum?  Will both the old and new yums work with fedoralegacy download
sites, and/or other repositories?

Also, the URL reported in the yum package on my system is
<http://www.dulug.duke.edu/yum/>.  When I go to that wep-page, it looks
like a Duke University Linux Users' Group moinmoin wiki page:

	"yum

	"This page does not exist yet.  You can create a new empty page,
	or use one of the page templates. Before creating the page,
	please check if a similar page already exists."

Where do I find out more information about the flavors of yum?  And how
yummy are they?  :)

Thanks.		-David