Thoughts about James' Updates on Legacy list

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Mon Sep 26 05:29:45 UTC 2005

Please consider this as only a *suggestion*.  The actual decision should
be made by Legacy project leadership and general consensus.

I think it is confusing and misleading for James to post his update
announcements to Legacy list, even despite the huge explicit disclaimer.
   It is not a good precedent as it would be clearly bad to have all 3rd
party packagers with their own repositories post package update
notifications to Legacy list.  At the very least this type of mail
causes unnecessary noise, and adds to confusion and loss of focus of the
Legacy package development and support purpose of this list.

I think instead James' repository would be better suited as being part
of an external individually maintained coalition of repositories like
these guys.

I think it is appropriate for James to occasionally mention the
existence of his repository on Legacy list, as it is related to the same
distributions used by Legacy list members.  The posts would contain a
general repo description and link to more information, and appear maybe
a few times during the year.

However it is off-topic for individual package announcements or even
summaries to be posted here as they are version upgrades, outside the
scope of Legacy's mandate.  Another important part of Legacy is
collaborative development of a centralized repository, which is not the
goal of James' updates.

Again this is just my personal opinion and I don't care so much about
the outcome.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com