[Updated] [FLSA-2006:186277] Updated sendmail packages fix security issue

Adam Gibson agibson at ptm.com
Wed Apr 5 16:50:13 UTC 2006

One thing I noticed after the latest yum update of sendmail from the
previous update is that alternatives is broken for /etc/pam.d/smtp for
the sendmail package.  Sendmail used to create /etc/pam.d/smtp.sendmail
which alternatives would create a symlink at /etc/pam.d/smtp to
eventually point to the current configured smtp pam config
(/etc/pam.d/smtp.sendmail for sendmail).

a yum update showed this:
warning: /etc/pam.d/smtp created as /etc/pam.d/smtp.rpmnew

# ls -al /etc/pam.d/smtp*
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           25 Mar 28 12:48 /etc/pam.d/smtp
-> /etc/alternatives/mta-pam
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          116 Mar 26 22:37 smtp.rpmnew

# ls -al /etc/alternatives/mta-pam
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           24 Mar 28 12:48
/etc/alternatives/mta-pam -> /etc/pam.d/smtp.sendmail

smtp.sendmail no longer exists. It appears to just be directly smtp now
which was stored as smtp.rpmnew because the symlink created by
alternatives was at /etc/pam.d/smtp.  Issuing an alternatives --config
mta will just setup /etc/pam.d/smtp to eventually point to
/etc/pam.d/smtp.sendmail again which does not exist.

Moving /etc/pam.d/smtp.rpmnew to /etc/pam.d/smtp.sendmail fixes the
problem for me.

I do not know what the ramifications are of having a broken symlink to
/etc/pam.d/smtp but it must be used for something.