sendmail update left me in a fix

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Apr 7 17:47:41 UTC 2006

Quoting Parker Jones <zoubidoo at hotmail.com>:

> The 5th April sendmail update screwed up mail on my RH-7.3 box.

How so?

It is probably due to your having installed the earlier update actually,
and not due to the current update.  But in any case, if something is
broken it is broken.  But you never do say what it is that is broken.

> In /var/log/maillog I'm getting lots of these:
> Apr  7 01:28:17 stancomb sendmail[6702]: k36NSHhs006702: localhost
> [127.0.0.1] did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA

That message doesn't mean much of anything by itself.  In fact, I see
lots of these in normal operation.  Now, something is no doubt causing
them, but we can't tell what without more information from you.

> Not knowing anything about sendmail configuration this has left me in a fix.

Sounds like you already got yourself out of the fix actually.  But then,
you never really told us what was broken.

> Out of urgency I reverted sendmail.cf to a version prior to the update
> and it now seems to work ok.

That should be fine and should not cause any problems.

> A diff between the old and new
> sendmail.cf's shows several pages of changes which I can't even begin
> to understand.  I am not sure of the implications of using the old
> sendmail.cf...

It should work fine with the old sendmail.cf.  But you should check the
status of sendmail.mc also, to prevent problems in the future in case it
rebuilds sendmail.cf from sendmail.mc.

> I appreciate the effort you guys put into packaging this code, but it's
> a royal pain when new problems like this are introduced.

Yes.  But if you want any help, you need to provide much more information,
like at least what the problems where, and whether we should even bother
to try to help as it sounds like you already fixed all the problems?

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Go Longhorns!