RKHUNTER reporting on my system

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 12 18:20:38 UTC 2006

Hi,

I have an FC2 system which rkhunter reports some suspicious
files. In particular, during the MD5 hash scan, it reports

	/bin/dmesg
	/bin/kill
	/bin/login
	/bin/mount
	/usr/bin/kill

as having unknown/incorrect hashes, and comments that this can
be caused by using an old database or new binaries. I ran it
again with --update, and it indeed pulled more database. However,
it still reports those five files. It also now reports more
packages as being old (it was complaining about 3, now about 4).

It also doesn't like the fact that root can log in, and that
SSHv1 is permitted to run.

Anyway, does anyone have more information about why rkhunter
might flag these programs?

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.