crazy thought about how to ease QA testing

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 10 01:49:50 UTC 2006

Jesse Keating wrote:
> So I'm kicking around this idea to help w/ QA testing.  What if Fedora
> Legacy provided very base images of the releases we support for use with
> vmplayer?  Vmplayer is free, and from the base image a QA tester could
> update to the package we need QA on, use the package in various ways,
> and report how it worked out.   No need to have a full system of that
> release, no bad effects to your running system, just a nice test
> environment to run a few smoke tests on it.
>
> Thoughts?

That is the exact way that I Q&A 7.3 stuff.  I have VM images that are
near mirrors of production systems.  I d/l and test 7.3 updates on the
VMs before pushing them out to production.  It doesn't take much to
produce a VM to distribute to others for testing purposes.  HOWEVER the
IP addressing might present some setup issues for novices, and bandwidth
necessary to download the images would be quite high.

Further Thoughts?

-Jim P.